Still no running photos for you…
And no (recent) CrossFit shots either. Because I quit CrossFit.
There are a bunch of reasons that went into the BIG decision, and they all led up to a single conclusion: It’s not worth it (for me). As most people know, CrossFit is very expensive — so in my mind, that means that it pretty much has to be the best, most perfect workout possible. When I realized that wasn’t happening, I decided to quit. Here are some reasons I’m a CrossFit quitter:
- I found myself bored during class. The warm-up and WOD were exciting, but the other 20-35 minutes of class is spent stretching, talking, and doing slow strength training. Not for me. I like to move!
- The “no-frills” “box” look didn’t appeal to me. The floors were dirty and the “décor” is basically… nothing. I’d be totally fine with this if I was paying less, but there are really nice gyms with spas, towels, showers, and more, just around the corner… that charge less!
And most importantly…
- I didn’t really see results. I got stronger — especially in my arms, abs, and back — but didn’t notice any big differences over the four-month period. And unfortunately, in the end it looks like CrossFit didn’t carry me through a marathon any faster than I could carry myself before I started doing deadlifts and power cleans. I mostly did CrossFit in hopes to improve my running — and since it didn’t seem to make an impact come race day, I’ll save my money thank you very much!
And really, in the end, let’s just admit that I like running the most. I just like to run and nothing else is as good (or as cheap) as going outside on a jog.
To be fair, though, there are a lot of reasons I was a (temporary) CrossFit enthusiast. Some of these include 1) loving the team dynamic; 2) getting individualized instruction; 3) recording your successes and pushing to exceed them; 4) jumping rope and doing handstands? that was fun.
Sorry to all of the diehard CrossFitters I’ve offended. To make everyone happy, here’s a burger:Anthony (who is still a big CrossFit fan, by the way) made these awesome turkey burgers last night. We paired them with broccoli… and wine. We are going to Australia in two days and need to start building up our tolerance. Cheers!
- Have you tried CrossFit? Did you stick with it?
- What’s your go-to burger recipe? Turkey? Beef? Beans?
- Again, you need to tell me about your run because I am still in non-running mode…