Happy Friday! Here is a really random post featuring WINGS, BEER, MUSCLES, and STEAK. Plus a few veggies and no running. Bring it on!
Anthony has recently discovered the beauty of buffalo wings (they don’t really have them in Australia), so we’ve been eating them nonstop. On Wednesday, we tried some at Ragtime …And last night, we tried some at Four Courts! (This is sort of a gross photo but I’m going to put it on the Internet anyway.)It’s hard to pick a winner because they were both so delicious and messy. The only solution is to continue eating wings twice weekly I guess.
Four Courts does score extra points for hosting all of the DC Road Runners, though.Another successful happy hour! I have a ton of Muscle Milk and Cytomax on hand as part of my ambassadorship with the Zooma Annapolis half marathon, so I handed some out to the club during the party.Enough shenanigans… let’s get to the steak? I have a recipe for you. I always get nervous cooking steak. I feel like it’s an art you really need a grill to master. But with some help from The Kitchn, our oven-baked steak turned out pretty spot-on! (Okay, it was slightly overdone, but that was because The Bachelor was on and I got distracted…)
I paired the hearty, salty meat with a slew of oven-roasted veggies and a bit of creamy goat cheese.The lineup is pretty similar to my roasted veggie salad, with some tweaks based on what I had on hand, what was on sale, etc. The star is the STEAK, obviously, so you can play with other flavors in the background.Life is short, so eat some steak. Right?
…Aaaaaaanddd here’s the recipe!
Roasted Veggie + Steak Salad (serves 5 big salad eaters)
- 1.5 pounds of steak (we used strip steak), cooked to your preference (see above link for oven-friendly cooking)
- Small tub or tube of goat cheese (about 6 ounces), crumbled
- 1 big tub of lettuce – I used spring mix and baby spinach
- 3 small red, yellow, and orange peppers – sliced
- 2 small ears of corn – steamed/microwaved for 3 minutes and kernels removed
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- small carton of grape tomatoes, cut in halves
- 5 medium-sized carrots, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- salt + pepper
Dressing (for about 5 big salads)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar (red wine might also be nice)
- 1.5 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- juice of 1 large lemon
- salt + pepper
- 1 teaspoon of honey or sugar
Directions: Preheat oven to 400. Toss all veggies (minus the lettuce, of course) in a medium-sized bowl with garlic, salt, pepper, and oil. Spread on a cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes. Then, broil them on high for 5 minutes. Let the veggies cool. Top each salad with the roasted veggies, cooked steak, and 1-2 ounces of goat cheese. Dress as needed. Enjoy!Hope you enjoyed this super random post, and have a good weekend!
- Favorite wing sauce?
- How often do you eat red meat?
- What’s on your run/race calendar this weekend?!
- Active Life DC: DC-area things to do this weekend
- iRunnerBlog: Runger games: Tips to manage your runner’s appetite
- Women’s Running: Top 13 running songs of 2013