Hi there! First, a margarita. It’s not the weekend yet, but we’re so close….Plus, it was grey and rainy all day yesterday. So, a couple girlfriends and I decided drinks were in order. Plus chips. Tip: If you’re at Rosepepper in East Nashville, pay 50 cents to upgrade your margarita with fresh lime juice. My friend told me about this trick, and it was well worth the investment!
While we’re on the Mexican theme, let’s move on to dinner.Since we joined a CSA and have gotten a bunch of random meat cuts, I’ve realized that the no-fail cooking solution for every type of meat is the slow cooker.
There are two ways to cook ANYTHING meaty: 1) Put meat, a bunch of tomatoes, and Italian spices in the slow cooker = meaty pasta sauce for pasta. 2) Put meat, tomatoes, and Mexican spices in the slow cooker = meaty filling for tacos. The end.These bad boys are actually a mix of beef and pork (is that weird?) since I had small quantities of both that I needed to use up. I followed this recipe and this recipe for inspiration… but basically, all I did was dump two pounds of meat, a can of black beans, half a lonely tomato, and a jar of salsa in the crock pot and put it all on low heat. Then I threw in a bunch of taco seasoning and forgot about everything for ten hours.
When I got home from work I let the meat/bean mix simmer down with the lid off for an hour or so. Then I removed bones, skimmed off most of the fat, and served. Taco-style!This is where I usually would share a morning run with you, but today I actually embarked on another fitness adventure. Recap coming soon!
So, instead, I thought I’d go on a little BlogLand journey and introduce you to some other awesome Nashville food, fitness, and lifestyle blogs. Most of these are updated at least once a week, so be sure to check them out!
15 Nashville food and fitness blogs for you to read:
- B.Britnell: www.bbritnell.com. Brita’s an awesome Nashville food blogger and photographer. Her photos are amazing, and she writes some very entertaining recipe stories/thoughts too!
- Here & Now: www.myhereandnowlife.com. Jessica is a local teacher with killer style. Check out her outfits!
- Jen Chooses Joy: www.jenchoosesjoy.com. Jen runs around Nashville and is a Fleet Feet ambassador. In addition to running chat, her blog also features some tasty vegetarian recipes. **Update, February 2016: This blog has not been updated since November 2015.
- The Nashvillian: www.thenashvillianblog.com. Ashley’s lifestyle blog covers everything from food to fashion to Nashville events — her “weekend guides” are always fun to read on Friday, too! **Update, February 2016: This blog appears to have been deleted/removed forever.
- Lesley Eats: www.lesleyeats.com. More vegetarian finds! Lesley also writes for the Nashville Scene’s Bites blog. **Update, February 2016: This blog has not been updated since October 2015.
- Lhyme: www.lhyme.com. Sort of a website/blog hybrid with food AND music! So Nashville. **Update, February 2016: This blog has not been updated since November 2015.
- LL Balanced: www.llbalanced.com. Just found this blog the other day — Laura Lea’s a holistic chef/nutritional consultant with lots of plant-based recipes for you to try out.
- Eat.Drink.Smile: www.eat-drink-smile.com. Beth’s blog keeps you in the loop with upcoming food events and restaurant happenings around Nashville.
- Love & Olive Oil: www.loveandoliveoil.com. Lindsay and Taylor craft beautiful recipes and take beautiful photos from their home. Check this blog for frequent giveaways, too.
- Old Red Boots: www.oldredboots.blogspot.com. Lauren’s in-depth restaurant and event reviews are an excellent resource to have on hand when you’re looking for a place to dine out.**Update, February 2016: This blog has not been updated since November 2015.
- The Local Taste: www.localtasteblog.com. Lindsay’s a local foodie/designer who posts some yummy-looking vegetarian dishes. Most seem pretty quick and easy, too! **Update, February 2016: This blog appears to have been hacked.
- So, How’s it Taste?: www.sohowsittaste.com. Leah reviews existing blogger recipes (great idea!) and crafts quite a few of her own, too.
- Southern Fatty: www.southernfatty.com. Phillip is a hilarious writer, amazing recipe-creator, and great photographer. When does he have time to do all of this?!! His blog is the perfect mix of fun and informative.
- Spinach Tiger: www.spinachtiger.com. What, you don’t have enough recipes by now? Add more to your list with help from Angela, who regularly does themed weeks of similar recipes (I think she recently did a series of buttermilk recipes. What a great idea!)
- Food on Fifth: www.foodonfifth.com. If I had to hire a personal chef in Nashville, I just might call Theresa. Everything she makes looks so.good.
* Bonus blog: Mine! I live in Nashville and blog five days a week. Honored to have been blogging about Music City randomness since 2014 — if you want to reach out, send me a note a minutespermile [at] gmail [dot] com.
** Bonus tip! If you’re looking for a way to keep track of blogs to read, search for new blogs, etc., I highly recommend BlogLovin‘ (you can add me here, btw!). It’s basically a way to customize a feed of all of your favorite blogs in a simple, searchable way.
That was fun! I hope you find more blogs to read, and I apologize for not having more fitness-focused Nashville blogs to list — to my knowledge, there are only a couple (**Update, February 2016: Ummmm, I think it’s down to just me. Ha!). Let me know if you have more to share!
- Any blogs to add to the list?
- How often do you use your slow cooker?
- Have you ever been a vegetarian? How did it go?