Happy Friday! I can’t believe that race weekend is finally here. I’m feeling ready — bring it on, Detroit!!
Since I’m resting up for Sunday, I’ve had plenty of time to reflect on running over the past few days. A while back I was nominated by fellow Nashville run blogger Jen to participate in this fun “how I run” survey. My answers are below — play along, and provide your answer to some of the questions in the comments sections!
1. Would you rather run along a beach path or mountain trail?
I’d actually prefer a flat road near a river or lake, with plenty of shade from nice trees. But if I had to pick: Mountain trail. I hate running in the sand.
2. If you could choose the flavor of Gatorade at your next race’s aid stations, what would it be?
I like Nuun! So any Nuun flavor would work for me. If forced to drink Gatorade, I’d go classic orange.3. If I gave you a $100 gift card to a running store, what would you purchase with it?
I’m always on the lookout for the perfect winter running jacket. Unfortunately $100 probably wouldn’t cover the full cost of one! Ha.
4. Do you prefer to follow a training plan or wake up and then decide how far and how fast you want to run?
I typically have 2-3 “key” workouts lined up in a typical training week. So I look at my schedule at the start of the week and pick which days to do those tough workouts depending on my schedule. The other 4-5 days of the week I wing it.
5. Would you rather start your run with the uphill and end on the downhill or start your run with the downhill and end with the uphill?
Uphill first. Rip off the band-aid!
6. When you can’t run, what type of cross-training do you choose to do?
I try to hit the gym 1-2 times a week to do boring Pilates exercises that make my legs, core, and butt stronger so that I’m faster and less injury prone. But, I mix in fun other stuff too — like Nike Training Club workouts, the occasional yoga or barre class, and volleyball games!7. What is your preference—>out and back, point to point, or loop runs?
Point to point, preferably downhill :). With a family member/friend at the finish to drive me home!
8. If you could recommend ANY running-related item to a new runner it would be…?
Not exactly an “item,” but I would recommend a running buddy/club. If you start out solo, it’s easy to get discouraged.9. Do you see any wild animals while out on your runs?
Yes. But I see more wild furniture.
10. Ever gotten lost while out on a run?
Ohhhhh yes. Especially in the ancient days before smartphones.
11. If you could have one meal waiting and ready for you each time you got home from a run for the next 30 days…what would it be?
I really don’t like eating right after I run (even though I know you’re supposed to). But, after I get home, take a shower, and putz around for a few minutes… I would love dig into a nice stack of pumpkin pancakes. With the most expensive brand of maple syrup on top.
12. Capris or shorts? What do you run in most?
13. At what mile (or how many minutes) into your run does your body start to feel like it is warming up and ready to go?
Probably about 2-3 miles.
14. What do you do with your key when you run?
I simply won’t buy a pair of running shorts/pants unless they have a key pocket. So, that’s where I stash my key!
15. If you could relive any race that you have done in the past, which one?
I really enjoyed the DC Marine Corps Marathon and Baltimore Marathons because I was living in those cities at the time I ran. I love destination races, but there’s something special about racing in the town that you’ve trained in.16. What type of run is your least favorite?
Those runs where you just feel “off.”
17. When you go for a run, do you leave from your front door or drive somewhere to start?
I typically start at home, but will occasionally drive if I’m meeting a group or avoiding hills.
18. When running in daylight, are sunglasses a must or an annoyance?
Must. I love my Oakleys! They are a bit diva-ish but quite functional, too.
19. When you get tired, what keeps you from quitting?
Knowing that I have to keep going so I can have something to blog about! 😉
20. How often do you run with a friend/group?
I have a buddy with me about 70%-80% of the time. I’m really aggressive when it comes to friending runners!
Answer one of the questions in the comments below if you want!! I love hearing how other people run and I want to feel inspired before race day