What’s your usual morning routine? I find morning routines fascinating and love hearing about other people’s. My weekday mornings start just before 5 a.m. and usually involve all of my favorite things: running, baking, and writing. And espresso You can read what a “typical” day looks like for me in this post and this post — and I want to hear about what yours looks like in the comments section! Also: Anthony’s “day in the life” post is one of my favorites Lastly, here’s another post on tips for becoming a morning person for anyone interested in joining the pre-6 a.m. craze.
With that said, I thought I’d share some of my morning projects of late! All of the following tasks were completed between 5 and 8:30 a.m. when I am at my most craziest and most productive levels.
1. Homemade breadcrumbs! I’ve been collecting odd end pieces of homemade bread and drying them out all over the house for the past few weeks until they were niiiiiice and stale. On Monday I broke them into hunks toasted them in the oven to make sure they were extra dry.Into the food processor they went! Whirled around for a few minutes and boom: breadcrumbs.I let my crumbs sit out for another day just to make sure there was zero moisture in them (to prevent mold). I haven’t cooked with them yet but will keep you posted! Apparently homemade breadcrumbs are supposed to be way better than store-bought ones. Might have to add breadcrumbs to my list of things I refuse to buy at the grocery store…
2. A modeling session! Firmoo sent me a pair of their prescription eyeglasses. Since I typically arrive home from work when it’s dark outside (not good for photos), I asked my professional assistant photographer (aka Anthony) to schedule in a morning photo shoot on Tuesday when the sun was out. I even pulled my hair out of a sweaty ponytail for the occasion. Actually, my hair doesn’t even fit into a ponytail anymore but that’s another story. Love these frames! Firmoo is super affordable, so if you’re in the market for a new pair of glasses but don’t have hundreds of dollars on hand, I’d recommend them. I just filled out my prescription form on their website and got my pair within a week or two. Easy!Since I already have a funky pair of purple eyeglasses, I decided to go for a classic black-and-white pair. I have a strangely small head so I also made sure I ordered a pair with a small total width. I found it helpful to measure my existing pair of glasses for an idea of size. Thanks for the new glasses, Firmoo!3. A workout! I usually find time to squeeze in a run or gym session in the mornings. Today Anthony and I went to the gym where I did about 20 minutes on the stair master followed by a 21-minute Nike Training Club workout. Love their routines — especially the celebrity training ones that make me feel like a rockstar. Today I did “summer strong” with Alie Krieger.
This workout was good because it had lots of legs and core work. The single-leg squat is probably in my top three injury prevention exercises. Runners gotta keep those glutes strong!4. Bake a cake! Tonight we’re hosting a party for my office and I’m in charge of dessert. When it comes to cakes I don’t joke around — so I’m going all out with a double chocolate layer cake from Cook’s Illustrated. I made sure to get out the butter and eggs last night so that they’d be at room temp first thing this morning. At 5 a.m. I started whipping butter, eggs, and flour like a mad woman.Our kitchen is usually a disaster between 5 and 8 a.m. Here’s a shot of our counter before I even started packing lunches! 😮I’m usually all about licking the spatula (right before I put it in the sink to wash it!) but I just couldn’t do chocolate cake batter for breakfast today. Any other batter eaters out there? #NoShameI filled the cake pans with batter before we left for the gym… and then baked them while I got ready and typed up this blog post! Now they’re cooling off, and I’ll frost them when I get home from work. Phew! Quite a production, but I hope it’s worth it. And that’s it, friends! #5 in my morning routine lineup is writing blog posts, but you already knew that one
- What are some things you sneak into your morning routine? (I also pack lunches and listen to podcasts while I get ready)
- What things do you accomplish at night (I do absolutely zero)
- Have you always been a morning person or did you have to “train” yourself to become one? (I’ve always been one)