Hello! I can’t believe that Christmas is around the corner. If you’re still scrambling to secure the perfect present for a fitness-loving friend or family member, I’ve got some gift ideas courtesy of the folks at Academy Sports + Outdoors — and a $100 Academy gift card to give to one lucky reader! Leave a comment with a note about your favorite fitness accessory for a chance to win. I’ll randomly select and email a winner at random at the end of Tuesday, 12/26.
1. The perfect jacket. A high-quality jacket is a MUST for winter running (see: my top 10 winter running tips). I’m a fan of sweat-wicking jackets that have thumb holes and are tight fitting — both of these features help keep shield skin from the wind! A more casual jacket like the North Face Mezzaluna Hoodie below is perfect for layering over long-sleeve top on an easy winter jog or a short trek to the gym. (It can also be styled with leggings or jeans for a quick trip to the store or walk with the stroller, which is how I’ve been using it most!)
2. Gloves. Gloves are one of those things that people hate buying for themselves, but seem to like receiving as gifts. I’ve tried a LOT of running gloves in the past few years. I think best hand-warming tricks are 1) layering — I’ve worn up to four pairs of gloves/mittens at once! Sleek liner gloves like these UnderArmour ColdGear gloves are perfect. 2) Mittens — make sure your outer layer is a mitten (not a glove). Keep those fingers close together so that they’re nice and toasty! 3) Windproof — your outer glove layer should also be made of a windproof material. The inner glove layers can be warm and fuzzy, but that outer layer should be thin and wind-resistant.
3. Basic tees If you’re torn on what to gift someone, go with a basic workout top like the UnderArmour Twisted Tech V-Neck shirt — on sale for $19.99 as part of Academy’s everyday low prices. Layer a basic tee or tank under a jacket during the winter and then pair it with patterned shorts or capris in the summer. Fitness wardrobe staple!
4. Activity tracker. You guys know I love my FitBit for everyday activity and my Garmin is a go-to running accessory. Help someone reach their 2018 fitness goals with the right gadgets. My tips: Splurging on real GPS (through the watch’s GPS) instead of “connected GPS” (through your phone’s GPS) is worth it if you’re a serious runner. Also, go with something that’s at least a little waterproof! You don’t want to worry about sweat, rain, and showers.
5. Energy gels. Nothing better to stuff a runner’s stocking with than some energy gels! Give the gift of energy and help others avoid hitting the wall. I’m a fan of the fruity flavors, but I know other runners who love chocolate, coffee, and vanilla. Go with a variety pack for fun!
May you have a wonderful Christmas, and thanks to Academy Sports + Outdoors for making it easy to give and gift to fitness enthusiasts around the world this season. Leave a comment below with a note about your favorite fitness accessory for a chance to win a $100 gift card to Academy. I’ll randomly select and email a winner at random at the end of Tuesday, 12/26.